Ahsan Manzil 6.21

4.3 star(s) from 1065 votes
Sadarghat
Dhaka,
Bangladesh
Download vCard Share
Add Review

About Ahsan Manzil

Ahsan Manzil Ahsan Manzil is one of the popular place listed under Landmark in Dhaka , Historical Place in Dhaka , Museum in Dhaka ,

Contact Details & Working Hours

Details

Ahsan Manzil was the official residential palace and seat of the Nawab of Dhaka. The building is situated at Kumartoli along the banks of the Buriganga River in Dhaka, Bangladesh. Construction was started in 1859 and was completed in 1872. It was constructed in the Indo-Saracenic Revival architecture. It has been designated as a national museum.HistoryIn Mughal era, there was a garden house of Sheikh Enayet Ullah, the landlord of Jamalpur Porgona, in this place. Sheikh Enayet Ullah was a very charming person. He acquired a very big area in Kumortuli and included it in his garden house. Here he built a beautiful palace and named it "Rongmohol" . He used to enjoy here keeping beautiful girls collected from the country and abroad, dressing them with gorgeous dresses and expensive ornaments. There is a saying that, the foujdar of Dhaka in that time was attracted to one of the beautiful girls among them. He invited Sheikh Enayet Ullah in a party one night and killed him in a conspiracy when he was returning home. That girl also committed suicide in anger and sorrow. There was a grave of Sheikh Enayet Ullah in the north-east corner of the palace yard which was ruined in the beginning of the 20th century.Probably in the period of Nawab Alibardi Khan around 1740 century, Sheikh Moti Ullah, the son of Sheikh Enayet Ullah, sold the property to the French traders. There was a French trading house beside this property. The trading house became wealthier after purchasing this property. In that time, French traders could do business here without paying any taxes by a decree from the emperor Awrangajeb. In that time, the French became very wealthy by doing business here in competition with the English and other European companies. They made a big palace and dug a pond for sweet water in the newly purchased property. The pond still exists in the compound of Ahsan Manjil which was called "Les Jalla" in that time. In the English-French war, French got defeated and all their properties were captured by the English. On 22 June 1757, the French left the trading house with a fleet of 35 boats from the river station of Buriganga in front of Kumartuli.

Review Ahsan Manzil

   Loading comments-box...